The one delicacy Gujaratis are always associated with is ''Dhokla''. The steamed savoury snack prepared in every Gujarati household. But before I share more information on this delicious savoury snack, one thing I want to clear with all Non - Gujaratis. I have always noticed, among Non-Gujaratis that Dhoklas means yellow coloured steamed bengal gram flour cakes. But the fact is these yellow colour steamed cakes made from bengal gram flour or chana dal (Bengal Gram) is called Khaman or Khaman Dhoklas or Nylon Khaman and Dhoklas are basically Khatta Dhoklas or Dhoklas made from grounded rice and urad dal and are bit tangy garnished with pepper corns. So next time when you refer Dhoklas be specific that they are Khaman Dhoklas or Khatta Dhoklas.
There are many varieties of Dhoklas like Khatta Dhokla, Khaman Dhoklas, Moong Dhoklas, Rasia Dhoklas, Corn Dhoklas and the list is extensive. Gujaratis have this savoury snack as a tea time snack rather than as a food item or are a part of the Gujarati Thali and served as Farsan in the thali.
I have shared the authentic Khaman Dhokla recipe, rather than the other instant versions where besan (bengal gram flour) is used instead of ground Chana dal. If ones visit Gujarat, Khaman Dhoklas are prepared with ground Chana Dal (Bengal gram) and they are served with Green Chutney, Chopped Onions and Sev. I miss this authentic Khaman Dhokla even in Mumbai, where instant versions are available in the shops.
3 Cups Chana Dal (Bengal Gram)
1 Cup Rice
1 Tablespoon of Curd
1 Tablespoon of Green Chilly and Ginger Paste
Salt to taste
1 Teaspoon of Eno / Citric Acid
Chopped Green Chillies
2 -3 Curry Leaves
Grated Coconut (Optional)
1. Soak Chana dal and Rice separately, grind Chana dal and Rice coarsely.
2. After grinding mix chana dal and rice together, add curd, 1 teaspoon of oil, pinch of salt and warm water. Make a thick batter and let it ferment for 5 - 6 Hours till the batter doubles.
3. Once the batter is fermented, add salt to taste, green chilly and ginger paste.
4. Before steaming the batter, add Eno salt / Citric acid in 2 Tablespoon of water and add this in the batter and mix it properly.
5. Grease the steel thali with oil and pour the batter in the greased thali and steam it for 10 - 15 Minutes.
6. Once the Khaman Dhoklas are steamed, remove them from the steamer and let it cool for a minute.
7. Prepare a tempering, heat oil add, mustard seeds, sesame seeds, chopped green chillies and curry leaves. Once the seeds starts splattering remove from the heat.
8. Pour some tempering over the steamed khaman dhokla thali and spread the tempering with the help of a spoon. Cut the Khaman Dhoklas in to diamond shape and remove it from the thali.
9. This way steam the remaining batter and use the remaining tempering on Khaman Dhoklas.
10. Granish Khaman Dhoklas with chopped coriander leaves and grated fresh coconut.
11) Serve Khaman Dhoklas with Green Chutney, Chopped Onions and Sev.