''Fada'' means broken wheat in Guajarati. It is popularly known as Dalia in India and Buglar Wheat in Western Countries. Fada Khichdi is the ideal replacement for rice. So calorie conscious rice lovers who want to cut down on their rice intake whilst still enjoying the feel of it, can certainly try out this dish. Simple khichdi is made delicious by adding masala, dal and vegetables. People usually add yellow moong dal to this dish, however I like to make it with Toor Dal. Its simple, quick and a complete meal. When I am confused about what to cook on a typical mundane day, which all women will agree on, this dish is my my top solution.
11/2 Cup of Dalia
1 Cup of Toor dal
11/2 Cups of Vegetables (Peas, Potatoes, Carrot, Cauliflower, Capsicum, Corn)
1 Teaspoon of Green Chilly Paste
3 - 4 Curry Leaves
1 Tablespoon of Ginger-Garlic paste
1/2 Teaspoon of Turmeric
1/2 Teaspoon of Asafoedita
1 Teaspoon of Coriander powder
1 Teaspoon of Cumin Seeds
1/4 Stick of Cinnamon
11/2 Teaspoon of Garam masala powder
salt to taste.
1 Tablespoon of Oil
3 Cups of Water.
1. Soak Toor dal and dalia for 20 minutes.
2. Take a pressure cooker add oil and cumin seeds. Once cumin seeds starts spluttering, add cloves, cinnamon stick and curry leaves.
3. Saute onions and when they are transparent add ginger-garlic paste, turmeric, asafoedita, chilly paste, coriander powder and cook for 1 minute.
4. Add all the vegetables (Choice of vegetable may differ), drained dalia and toor dal and mix it properly. Add salt, garam masala and water and cook for 1 minute.
5. Then close the pressure cooker and cook till 4 whistles.
One can serve it with Gujarati Kadhi or raita or with simple curd.