''Sev Puri'' reminds me of my days in Mumbai, having yummy chaats at thelawalas specially at Juhu and Chowpatty beach. In Mumbai you will find these thelas on every street corner. We forget the hygiene factor while having those yummy tangy, sweet and spicy chaats from the thelas. Being away from home does not hamper my craving for yummy chaats. Sev is easily available at nearby Indian grocery stores, but for puris I have to travel to Southall. So I have started making puris at home, which can be stored for almost a month and can also be served as snacks.
1 Cup of Maida (Self Raising Flour)
1 Cup of Rawa / Sooji (Semolina)
3 Teaspoon of Jeera (Cumin seeds)
3 Teaspoon of Ajwain (Carom seeds)
Oil for Frying
Salt to taste
For Sev Puri:
1/2 Cup of Sev
1 Cup of Boiled Chopped Potatoes
1/2 Cup of Chopped Onions
1/2 Cup of Chopped Tomatoes
2 Tablespoon of Chopped Raw Mangoes (Optional - Subject to Availability)
2 Teaspoon of Chaat Masala
1 Teaspoon of Red Chilly powder
1 Tablespoon of Chilly Garlic Chutney
3 Tablespoon of Green Chutney
4 Tablespoon of Tamarind Chutney
3 Tablespoon of Peanuts (Optional - Subject to Availability)
3 Tablespoon of Masala Chana dal (Optional - Subject to Availability)
1/2 Lemon Juice
2 Tablespoon of Chopped Coriander
1. For Puris mix all the ingredients and make a tough dough.
2. Roll out the dough in to small puris or roll out a big roti and cut in to small puris using a cutter. Now prick the puris in between with a fork or a knife so that puris remain flat.
3. Deep fry the puris in Oil till they are golden brown and crisp. Once cool store it in an air tight container.
4. Place the puris on the plate.
5. Sprinkle very little salt and red chilly powder on chopped boiled potatoes and mix it well
6. Place chopped potatoes, onions, tomtatoes and raw mangoes on the puris
7. Sprinkle Chaat Masla powder on all the puris.
8. Add little water to chilly garlic chutney and spread it on the puris
9. Add Green and Tamarind Chutney.
10. Sprinkle with lemon juice, peanuts and masala chana dal
12. Granish it with sev and chopped coriander
Note: The proportion of chutneys can be adjusted as per your taste buds.