Surati Sev Khamani is another popular savoury snack or farsan originated from food loving Gujaratis of Surat, State of Gujarat, India. I have seen at many places, Amiri Sev Khaman are served as Sev Khamani, where khaman dhokals are crushed and are served with sev on top. Being, Surati I have a chance of sharing the difference between these two dishes. Amiri Sev Khaman, are fluffy gram flour dhoklas, known as Khaman and sev is garnished on top of it. And Sev Khamani, is crushed chana dal, cooked by adding lots of garlic, as it is gastric in nature and is served with topping sev on it. I am sharing an authentic recipe of Surati Sev Khamani, which my maternal granny used to make for me, when I used to visit surat to spend my vacation. I have learned all authentic Surati dishes from her.
2 Cups of Chana dal
10 Garlic Cloves
1 Small piece of ginger
2 Teaspoon of Mustard seeds
1 Teaspoon of Turmeric Powder
1 Teaspoon of Coriander-Cumin seeds powder
Pinch of Asafoedita
5 - 7 Finely green chillies
2 -3 Curry leaves
2 Teaspoon of sugar
2 Tablespoon of Lime juice
1 Cup of Milk
Salt to taste
1/2 Cup of chopped coriander
1 Cup of Sev
1. Soak Chana dal for 3 -4 hours. Drain the chana dal and grind it coarsely and add water if required
2. Blend ginger, garlic and chillies together.
3. Heat oil in a deep pan, add mustard seeds and asafoedita. Once the seeds starts sputtering add curry leaves and garlic, ginger and green chilli paste. Saute for a minute.
4. Add coarsed chana dal, turmeric powder and coriander-cumin seeds powder, cook on a low flame. Add milk if the chana dal is too dry.
5. Add salt, lime juice and sugar. Mix it properly, cook the chana dal till oil seperates the vessel.
6. Before serving, garnish it with chopped coriander leaves and liberally sprinkle sev. Garnish sev before serving to avoid sev getting sogging.
Serve it with hot sizzling masala tea :)
This week, Shreya of ammascooking have tagged me. It seems I am back in college and its fun :) Thanks, Shreya for tagging me.
Before I get to the Qs and answer them, the rules for this tag are as follows:"At the end of the post, the player then tags 5 or 6 people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know they’ve been tagged and asking them to read my blog. Let the person who tagged you know when you’ve posted your answers."
1.What was I doing ten years ago?
A. Studying in School :)
2. Five things on Today's "To do" list
A. Cleaning my house, cook food, posting this blog, reading book, which I have to return to the library shortly and Search creative materials to make hand made rakhi.
3.I am addicted to :
A. My hubby, blogging and reading
4.Things I would do if I were a billionaire:
A. Buy loads and loads of clothes, footwears (which I even do now ;)), Travel exciting places, Help needy people and Orphans
5. Places I have lived:
A. Aamchi Mumbai and Currently London
I would like to pass on this tag to Rekha, Suma Rajesh, Sireesha, Not yet 100 and Sripriya