Tadka Dal or Dal Tadka is a popular dal prepared in Northern India. Lentils are prepared daily in an Indian home. The word 'Dal' derives from the Sanskrit term to 'Split'. Dal is preparations of pulses which have been stripped of their outer hulls or splits. Tadka Dal gets its name from its way of preparing the dal. The standard preparation of dal begins with boiling a dal with added spices and then in end adding a Tadka / Tarka/ Chaunk/ Baghaar at the end of the cooking process. Tadka dal can be served with rotis, naan or with simple plain rice.
1/2 Cup Toor Dal / Tuvar Dal/ Arhar Dal
1/2 Cup Moong Dal (Yellow split dal)
1/4 Cup Split Masoor Dal (Red Lentils)
1 Chopped Onion
1 Chopped Tomato
1 Tablespoon of Ginger - Garlic paste
1 Teaspoon of Red Chilly powder
1 Teaspoon of Coriander - Cumin seed powder
1 Teaspoon of Turmeric powder
1 Teaspoon of Cumin seeds
3-4 Curry leaves
1 Red whole chilly
2 Tablespoon of Ghee
1 Tablespoon of Coriander leaves
Salt to taste
1. Soak all dals for 1-2 hours in a water. Once they are soaked, drain the water and then pressure cook the dals and keep the cooked dals aside.
2. Heat a deep vessel with ghee. Once the ghee is hot add Onions, ginger-garlic paste and curry leaves. Saute the onions till they are transparent.
3. Add tomaties, red chilly powder, turmeric powder, corinader-cumin seed powder. Cook till ghee leaves the vessel.
4. Now add the cooked dal and salt and mix well. Let it cook on a low flame for few minutes.
5. Once cooked, now prepare the tempering. Heat ghee in a vaghaariyun (tempering vessel). Add cumin seed and red whole chilly. Once the seeds starts spluttering sprinkle the Tadka on the dal.
6. Garnish the dal with chopped coriander leaves and serve it with roti, naan or simple plain rice.
My friend Rekha of Rekha's Kitchen passed me this great Brillante weblog premio-2008.
Thank you so much, Rekha for considering me worthy for this award.
Brilliant Weblog is a prize given to sites and blogs that are smart and brilliant both in their content and their design. The purpose of the prize is to promote as many blogs as possible in the blogsphere.
Here are the rules to follow :- When you receive the prize you must write a post showing it, together with the name of who has given it to you, and link them back. Choose a minimum of 7 blogs (or even more) that you find brilliant in their content or design. Show their names and links and leave them a comment informing they were prized with ‘Brilliant Weblog’. Show a picture of those who awarded you and those you give the prize (optional). All the bloggers have wonderful work and content in their blog and all deserve to get this. As per the rules I would like to pass this award to my fellow bloggers mentioned below:(and these are in no particular order, and I could go on and on seeing how their are so many blogs I love but that would take me forever)Enjoy your awards and please pass it on to other and this is my turn to pass this award.
I am going to pass this to my fellow Brilliant Bloggers:
My friend Priti has also passed me the Blogging Forever Award, thanks for considering me your Friend forever