Breakfast is the most important meal of the day as it is considered the brain of the food. After a long fast of about 7-8 hours of sleeping our body need fuel to carry out the activities throughout the day. Skipping breakfast with an intention of losing weight is not a wise idea, as the fasting period increases making you feel hungrier. As a result you tend to binge in the meal which you first eat leading to over consumption of excess calories. Thus ultimately you gain weight instead of losing. Many studies prove that children who avoid breakfast are not able to pay full attention in school hours, have more than desired body mass index, or have low iron stores in the body.
A healthy breakfast is what one should emphasize on. Here is 'Vegetable Poha' which contains of nutritional value of many vegetables and can be prepared in a jiffy. This way you can make kids eat more vegetables and will bring creativity in your daily brunch.
500gms Poha / Flattened Rice
1 Chopped Medium sized Potato
1 Chopped Medium Sized Onion
1 Chopped Tomato
1 Chopped Small Carrot
1 Chopped Small Capsicum
1/2 Cup of Boiled Peas
1/2 Cup of Boiled American Corn
1 Tablespoon of Peanuts
1 Finely chopped Green Chilly
1 Teaspoon of Coriander powder
1 Teaspoon of Cumin powder
1 Teaspoon of Turmeric powder
1 Teaspoon of Red chilly powder
1 Teaspoon of Mustard seeds
1/2 Teaspoon of Hing / Asafoedita
3 to 4 Curry Leaves
1 Tablespoon of Lemon Juice
Salt as per taste
1/2 Cup of Sev
Finely Chopped Coriander to garnish
1. Wash the poha in a running water, once cleaned transfer them in a colander to remove all excess water. Keep it aside to drain the water for 5 minutes.
2. Heat the oil in a pan, add hing and mustard seeds, once the seeds starts spluttering add peanuts, curry leaves and chopped green chilly.
3. Add potatoes and a pinch of salt and close the pan with the lid, allow the potatoes to cook.
4. Once the potatoes are cooked, add onions and saute them till they are golden in colour. Add all tomatoes and other vegetables mentioned above and allow them to cook for a minute.
5. Later add coriander powder, cumin seed powder, turmeric powder, red chilly powder and salt as per taste. Mix it well with the vegetables and allow it to cook for few minutes.
6. In the end add the softened, drained poha and mix it properly and cook for 2 minutes. Sprinkle lemon juice, coriander mix it and remove it from the heat.
7. Sprinkle sev before serving.
Your colourful and healthy breakfast is ready