for Nandlala and made recently made Kalakand on Rakshabandhan, so decided to try my hands on Basundi this time.
Inspite of Swine flu scare in Mumbai, people were out on the streets with or without mask to watch the Dahi Handi Procession, it did not hamper the festive spirits of people and like always there were lots of Dahi handis all over Mumbai.
Basundi is a rich dessert loved by all in my family. Basundi is a thick, creamy dessert made by burning milk on a low heat and reducing milk to half. It is served chilled and garnished with lots of dry fruits. It is prepared usually during festive seasons in Gujarati households.
The best part about this dessert is one can prepare Basundi, one day in advance, and it becomes more rich and creamier as you chill it more.
2 Litres of Full Fat Milk
1 Bowl of Sugar
1 Tablespoon of Elaichi Powder (Cardamom)
1/2 Tablespoon of Nutmeg Powder
3 Tablespoon of blenched nuts (Charodi, Almonds and Pistachio)
A pinch of Saffron
1. Take a deep pan (preferrably Non-stick), add 2 litres of full fat milk and bring it to boil.
2. Allow it to boil on a very low flame, keep on stirring it occassionally.
3. s the milk keeps on burning it will start coating on the sides of the vessel. With the help of a spatula keep on stirring the milk and remove the milk coating from the sides.
4. When the milk reduces to half, add sugar, elaichi powder, pinch of saffron and half blenched nuts.
5. Milk will turn light pink in colour and will be very thick in its consistency. Remove it from the heat and allow it to cool.
6. Once cool down, refrigerate it for few hours. One can see the layers of thick cream on top once the basundi is chilled.
Garnish it with nuts and saffron, serve it chilled.
This whole post is for my very own Janmashtami and Ganesh Chaturthi Event
This post also goes for Sanghi's IFL - Milk Event
Lovely Sangi has showered me with this cute gift ''A Fabulous Blog Award'', Thank you dear, will always cherish your lovely gift
Pinky has also shared with me Kreative Blog award, I love your Blog award and One Lovely Blog Award, Thanks a ton for considering me worthy for this award.