There are different ways of making a toast sandwich. If you have ever eaten on the roadside of Mumbai or told enough about it, then this sandwich is a must. The reason I have named this as 'Bombay Toast Sandwich', is because you will get this specific masala stuffed inside the toast only in Mumbai. My favourite sandwich thela in Mumbai was Swastik Sandwichwala in Santacruz (Mumbai) and Lucky Sandwichwala in Vile Parle (Mumbai). When I was in Mumbai I use to get Swastik Sandwich Masala which is available with most of the local grocery shops.
Chilly Garlic Chutney
3 Big Boiled Potatoes
1/2 Cup of Boiled Peas
1/2 Cup of Chopped Capsicum
1/2 Cup of Chopped Onions and Tomatoes
1 Cup of Onions and Tomatoes cut in rings (Optional)
Sandwich Masala / Chaat Masala
1 Teaspoon of Coriander Powder
1 Teaspoon of Chilly Powder
1 Teaspoon of Ginger - Garlic paste
1 Teaspoon of Garam Masala
Salt to taste
1. Mash the boiled potatoes and add salt to taste and mix it
1. Add butter in a kadhai and saute chopped onions and ginger - garlic paste.
2. Add chopped tomatoes, coriander powder, chilly powder, Masala Powder and and saute the mixture till oil leaves the mixture.
3. Then add boiled peas and capsicum and let it simmer for few minutes.
4. Add this mixture to the mash potatoes and mix it properly.
5. Apply butter, Chilly Garlic Chutney and Green Chutney on one side of the bread.
6. Stuff the bread with potato mixture. Sprinkle chaat masala / Sandwich masala.
7. Make layer of chopped ring tomatoes and onions.
8. Toast the sandwich in a sandwich toaster
9. Serve with Green Chutney and Tomato Ketchup
Note: The proportion of chutneys can be adjusted as per your taste buds.