''Masala Bhaat'' is a maharashtrian dish. Flavours and vegetables are added to rice. Special goda masala and coconut is added to this dish to make it spicy. I have made simple Gujarati Masala Bhaath, which any one can prepare by using basic spices.
11/2 Cup of Long Basmati Rice
1/2 Stick of Cinnamon
1 Medium sized chopped Onions
1 Medium sized chopped Tomato
1 Medium sized chopped Potato
1 Cup of peas
1/2 Cup of Beans (Optional)
1 Green Chilly
1 Teaspoon of Coriander - Cumin seed powder
1 Teaspoon of Red Chilly powder
1 Teaspoon of Turmeric powder
1 Teaspoon of Cumin seeds
2 Teaspoon of Garam Masala powder
3 - 4 Curry Leaves
1 Tablespoon of Ginger-Garlic paste
Salt to taste
1. Soak rice for half an hour in water, wash and drain them
2. In Presure cooker, add oil, Cloves, Cinnamon, Split green chilly and cumin seeds, once cumin seeds start spluttering add ginger-garlic paste and onions.
3. Saute onions, till they are transparent. Add tomato, turmeric powder, red chilly powder, coriander-cumin see powder and curry leaves. Saute chopped tomato till oil leaves the vessel.
4. Now add all vegetables and drained rice, along with salt and garam masala powder and let it cook for 1 Minute.
5. Add water and close the cooker and cook rice till 3 whistle blows.
6. Serve masla bhaath with curd, raita, dal or kadhi.